Wednesday 10 October 2012

Felt, feathers and New York cheesecake!

Hello birdwatchers

Another week has gone by, the leaves are turning golden yellow and there is a real autumn chill in the air this evening.

I've just returned from holding a stall at the Big Green Weekend at the Trust for Conservation Volunteer's Hollybush Farm in Kirkstall, Leeds. It has been a fabulous day and I've chatted to lots of lovely people. As usual at the local events I attend, I ran a free prize draw. The prize was a half day trip including one-to-one birdwatching tuition. I have now contacted the winner - thanks to everyone who took part and for your interest in my trips. I hope that you'll join me for some guided birdwatching in the near future.



Yesterday, I had a Saturday off for a change and attended a needle felting class in Hutton Buscel village near Scarborough with felter, Jenny Pepper. I had a fantastic day making felt with a group of like-minded people and the village provided a lovely quiet setting for this relaxing hobby.

On the way home I visited the Lower Derwent Valley, dropping in at the Weldrake Ings Bank Island viewing tower to have a break from driving. It had been a lovely sunny day and it felt good to get some fresh air and admire the evening light over the flooded landscape.



Luckily, I still had some hot water in my flask. I also had with me a slice of New York cheesecake which I'd bought as a treat! So, with my cheesecake and some fresh coffee in my cafetiere mug, I sat for a while watching displaying mallards in the evening sunshine. Heaven.

Later, I finished the perfect day with the perfect result. Leeds Rhinos beat Warrington in the Super League Grand Final after a nail biting match. What a day!

This coming week Start Birding birdwatching classes at Rodley Nature Reserve will be focusing on how to entice more wildlife into your garden. We'll be looking at types of bird food, nesting boxes and where to position then, which plants to put in your garden and the benefits that adding a water feature can bring.




If you're interested in learning more then please contact me on linda.startbirding@gmail.com or call 07778 768719

No comments:

Post a Comment